The following is included as part of a students award:
Program Dates: June 12 – August 11, 2023.
Stipend: Students receive a stipend of $5,040 in support.
Travel: Participating students are eligible for reimbursement of approved expenses associated with round-trip travel to the University of Chicago from the student’s home city.
Housing: Participants will be offered housing in air-conditioned rooms in a student dormitory residence located in the center of campus near several amenities, including an athletic facility.
Research Mentors: Students will be matched with a faculty/research mentor based on interests/goals expressed in the application to the Leadership Alliance. Students interested in applying for the University of Chicago SR-EIP program can learn more about research opportunity offerings by looking at faculty research profiles. All students participating in the summer session will also be guided by advisers outside of the laboratory environment.
Activities: Students are expected to spend a minimum of 35 hours/week conducting research and working with faculty/research mentors. In addition, students will participate in several program activities that will allow them to interact with other members of the academic community and summer research programs at the University of Chicago:
- Weekly Workshops/Panel Discussions: Workshops on how to navigate the academy, including topics like getting the mentoring you need, self-care and community, communicating your research, the graduate admissions process, preparing grad applications, fellowships and funding opportunities, and study abroad.
- Library or Facility tours: Participants will be acquainted with the shared library, research, and laboratory facilities as it pertains to their research placement.
- University of Chicago Research Symposium: Near the end of the nine-week summer session, participants will give oral presentations of their work to fellow participants, faculty mentors, and research associates in a symposium on campus.
- The Leadership Alliance National Research Symposium: Participants will travel to attend the national meeting of the Leadership Alliance to present their work and to network with other SR-EIP participants from different institutions, faculty/research mentors, and Leadership Alliance members and directors.
- Recreational Activities: Social activities organized to acquaint participants with life on the University of Chicago campus and in the city of Chicago at large.